Wednesday 15 September 2010

The Journey

The Journey

Rain peppered the wind screen of the car. It had been pouring all day. I drove through the empty motorway, the only noise was the monotone hum of the engine and the roar of the rain outside my metal cocoon. It was 4am and I was the only thing on the road. My headlights illuminated the black scene. The world was dead. Trees wilted under the unrelenting downpour. The gleaming surface of the road was uniform and uninspiring. At 4am in the rain and darkness, all beauty is lost.
It had been hours, the car was stuffy, full of stale air. My back ached and my legs were tired. I felt my eyes growing heavier by the mile. My skin felt warm and fuzzy.
It seemed as though I was in purgatory, driving on and on with no hope of ever stopping or seeing anyone. It was the most alone I had felt in my entire life.

I slowed down as I approached a vast metal sign slick with rain. My lights glared off of the surface making it hard to read. I knew this was the place I had to be. I crawled along a few more yards looking for a place to put the car. As I turned the engine off I at back and a cigarette, one last  repose before my journey. I inhaled the smoke deeply. Allowing the acrid smoke to fill my tired lungs. I could only see the lone ember of the cigarette in the world of black. It was for now, my best friend. The smoke flowed out from my nose and mouth filling the inside of the car with its foul stench. I thought of all the events that had brought me to this vile place at this time. I knew it was all about to change. I missed the way it used to be so much. I would have it back again, I had to.

I cracked the window and a torrent of rain clawed to get in. I flicked the dimming cigarette out into the abyss. I checked my watch in the night, it was time. I heaved open the door and climbed out of the vehicle. The rain roared at my entrance into its domain. I was now truly part of the darkness. The rain shot through my jacket quickly, soaking my very core. The heavy droplets splashed my face. I felt them wash the bile and taint from my soul. I smiled.

Drawing up the collar of the jacket I ran towards the long line florescent lights in the distance. As I jogged forth I could see the goal of my journey. The salve for my lonely sorrow.

She stood alone in the light, sheltered by the concrete monster that towered above. Her figure, though wrapped in a long coat looked beautiful, her face flawless, her nose touched red by the cold. She stood arms folded gazing out into the darkness. She saw me. Her hands dropped and she ran out of the light into the rain. Her thick long hair bounced as the rain hit it. Her gleaming green eyes seemed to glow and push the night away from us. My heart skipped and leapt into my throat. It was all I could do not to crumble to my knees weeping.

We ran for each other, in the middle of the darkness our bodies embraced. Her body’s touch instantly revived my dead soul. Her hair smelt sweet and her skin smooth as ivory. In the middle of the black tarmac, alone and away from the eyes of the world. We kissed our first kiss in years. Our wet lips met and the shell of sadness that had encased me all this time was blasted away. My hands cupped her delicate cheeks as we kissed. Her fingers were drawn through my soaking hair. My spine tingled at her touch. Every feeling in the world was numbed, every memory was shattered. All life before this moment ceased. All that remained was love. I moved my hands in the warmth of her back. Under her coat her skin was soft and warm. I felt her inhale deeply, She tasted sweet, and cool. It was like the first time we kissed, my heart pounded I could feels her’s doing the same through my chest. Our lips finally broke and I stared into those deep pools of emerald green. Her full lips smiled at me and she caressed my cheek. I couldn’t help smiling back. We touched foreheads and both closed our eyes just listening to the sound of each others existence. I felt whole again. Her hands rested on my chest. We gazed into each other’s eyes again and shared one more kiss.

The Sun began to emerge from the clouds as we walked back to the car and left the airport.
She put her lips close to my ear and whispered “I missed you.”.

Written by Daniel Elmer

No comments:

Post a Comment